PUMA(R) Introduces Revolutionary All-In-One 'UniQT' for Cameroon Football Team at 2004 African Cup of Nations
Herzogenaurach, Germany (ots) - When the Cameroon football team face Algeria in their first match of the 2004 African Cup of Nations (25th January in Sousse, Tunisia) they will do so in PUMA's revolutionary all-in-one kit aptly named UniQT - [yuni:kit].
Designed to enhance the level of play, the unmistakable UniQT comes in Cameroon green and red with yellow accents and features performance-based fabrics like Lycra. It has been aligned to the body's shape allowing it to move as one with the player's movement and retain its shape if pulled out of place. Development of the kit began in 2001 along with its predecessor, the groundbreaking sleeveless shirt worn by the Cameroon team in the 2002 African Cup of Nations. Each new UniQT has undergone extensive testing to ensure optimal performance when on the pitch. The new design represents a true milestone in football history and PUMA has applied for "utility model*" protection of the kit.
The top of the kit is skin-tight with hidden zipper closures on top of each shoulder. An elastic waistband marks the transition from the form fitted top to a looser slim fitting short. PUMA used the new 'short-cut silhouette' where the shorts are comparatively shorter at the front than the back. The drop tail pattern helps to minimise discomfort and removes excess friction and obstruction while running and kicking.
The kit design also features 'lion claw tears" on each side along the oblique muscles, alluding to Cameroon's nickname of the 'Indomitable Lions.' The tears are not just for aesthetics - they feature a layer of micromesh that allows air to circulate under the garment for better ventilation. In a unique application, the PUMA jumping cat logos on the front, arms and shorts are made of a faux 'fur' treatment, thus continuing the lion theme. In addition to the fabric treatment, a new aggressive font has been created for the player names and numbers.
"The Cameroon team has the perfect physique for this formfitting UniQT," said Filip Trulsson, International Marketing Manager for PUMA Football. "As a group of players the 'Indomitable Lions' have come to symbolize confidence, athleticism and sheer power. This new streamline design moves as one with the players to further enhance their style of play and overall performance. It's a perfect fit.''
The revolutionary UniQT will be on display at retail, but will not be available for purchase. A replica shirt of the kit will be available for sale in February 2004 with a limited pre-launch of the authentic kit (top half only) in PUMA Flagship Stores worldwide on January 23rd 2004.
Notes to Editors
* A utility model is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which allows the right holder to prevent others from commercially using the protected invention, without authorization, for a limited period of time. Utility models are similar to patents and are sometimes referred to as "petty patents" or "innovation patents."
Upper/lower ("tight") base fabric composition
- 80% polyester cationic, 20% lycra
- Circular knitted jersey 225g/m2
Inserts (side panel of shorts & slash effect on shirt)
- 96% nylon, 4% spandex
- Circular knitted mesh 160g/m2
Shorts base fabric composition
- 94% polyester, 6% spandex
- Woven; twill - stretch 100g/m2
- One-way closed end zipper with semi-automatic lock, stay down puller and zip guard wraps along both shoulders
- Elastic edging on all cuffs and on the collar
- Integrated elastic waistband underneath upper short fixed on lower tight
- All cat branding (centre and sleeves for shirt, bottom left for short) in faux "fur" material
- Dropped hem on the back of short for improved movement preventing the short from "rubbing" on the front of the leg during running etc
PUMA(R) is the global athletic brand that successfully fuses influences from sport, lifestyle and fashion. PUMA's unique industry perspective delivers the unexpected in sportlifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories, through technical innovation and revolutionary design. Established in Herzogenaurach, Germany in 1948, PUMA distributes products in over 80 countries. For further information please visit www.puma.com and www.pumafootball.com.
ots Original Text Service: PUMA AG
+49 9132 812694
Lisa Beachy/Katie Webber
International PR/PR Executive
+1 617 488 2945/+44 207 553 3339